Our vision is to empower students of literature by stimulating and developing their imagination, critical and moral faculties.
Our mission is to impart students with skills and insights needed to engage with and interpret a wide variety of text, to introduce students to the rich diversity of literatures written in English, and to develop sensitivity to the English Language and its uses.
- To pursue teaching either at the secondary level or College level
- To pursue career as journalist , reporters and editors in print media and electronic media.
- To pursue career as translators.
History of the Department :
The Department of English was established in the year 1998.The Department started to offer B.A English Literature in the year 1990 and Post Graduate degree M.A English and Communication in the year 1999.The nomenclature of the PG course has been changed to M.A English in the year 2005.
The Department opens fresh avenues for Personality Development and command of Language Skills through a well-equipped language laboratory .The students especially from the underprivileged stratum, are trained to acquire English Communication skills along with knowledge about varied social values obtained for the study of Literature written in English around the globe.
The Department arranges guest lectures through Utopia (Department Association ) on recent trends in Literature and Literary Theory, every year for the benefit of the students. It also organizes competitions like Book Review , Paper Presentation, quiz etc. in order to bring out the latent skills of the students.
Conducting Bridge -Intensive Course and Spoken English for the fresher is a regular feature of Department.
|1||BA English Literature||3 Years||+2 Pass||60|
|2||MA English||2 Yrs||Any degree holder||36|
|1||Ms B Zulaiha||M A M Phil [Ph D]||Associate Prof. & Head|
|2||Ms B Seeni Rahfu Nisha||M A||Assistant Prof.|
|3||Ms. F M N Benacir||M.A,M.Phil||Assistant Prof.|
|4||Ms A Bringa Lakshmi||M.A,M.Phil||Assistant Prof.|
|5||Ms R Rajalakshmi||M A.,||Assistant Prof.|
|6||Ms C Rosy||M.A,M.Phil||Assistant Prof.|
|7||Ms A Jasmine Zeenath||M.A, M. phil.,B.Ed||Assistant Prof.|
|8||Ms. K Jasmin Malar||M.A,M.Phil||Assistant Prof.|
|9||Ms. B Sharmila||M.A,M.Phil||Assistant Prof.|
|10||Ms. S. Usha Rani||M A.,||Assistant Prof.|
|11||Ms Mymoon Fathima||M A.,||Assistant Prof.|
|12||U.K.Deepika||M.A, M. phil.,B.Ed||Assistant Prof.|
|13||I. Gayathri||M.A, M. phil.,B.Ed||Assistant Prof.|
|14||A.Hamsath Banu||M A.,||Assistant Prof.|
|15||N.Jakkina Amina||M A.,||Assistant Prof.|
|16||M.Ismath Mahajabeen||M A.,||Assistant Prof.|
|17||K.Jennathul Birthous||M.A,M.Phil||Assistant Prof.|
Dr Vinod Balakrishnan
Associate Professor and Head
Ms S Zahira Banu
Assistant Professor of English English
- Department offers the opportunity to the students to develop their four skills in communication with the aid of a Language Laboratory.
- The staff and students are enabled to use the internet facility available in the Language Laboratory in their leisure hours.
- The students are made to browse various websites related to their subject.
- The laboratory is open for use after college hours as well.
- Besides the Language Laboratory there is a Video Production Laboratory and an Audio Production Laboratory as an aid for the communication papers offered by the department.
- The Laboratories are well equipped to facilitate the students to enhance their practical knowledge in the communication Programmes.
- There is a separate department library exclusively for the use of the students and the faculty of this department.
- The department is facilitated with a computer with the internet facility incorporated for the utility of the faculty members and to prepare slide shows in various subjects for the benefit of the students.
Activities Of the Department
- College reopened for the faculty members on 4.6.2009. Staff members attended the orientation class on 'Development of the Communication Skills'.Dr P.Iyyadurai was the resource person
- To fill the vacancies an interview was conducted on 4.6.2009 and 5.6.2009. Ms V.Yogalakshmi MA, Ms J. Arthy MA Mphil., and Ms K.Rizwana MA Phil., were appointed as lecturers in the Department of English .Ms V.Yogalakshmi has joined on 4.6.2009 Ms J. Arthy has joined on 8.6.2009 and Ms K.Rizwana has joined on 15.6.2009 respectively.
- A Two Days Orientation programme on 'Learning How to Frame Questions' was conducted by the Quality Circle for Research on 15.6.2009 and 16.6.2009. Dr P.Iyyadurai was the resource person.
- College reopened for I, II, III BA and II MA students on 17.6.2009.
- Orientation was conducted for two days on 18.6.2009 and 19.6.2009 for all the first year students.
- Orientation was conducted on 22.6.2009 and 23.6.2009 for all the second year students.
- Orientation was conducted on 24.6.2009 and 25.6.2009 for all the third year and second PG students.
- Bridge course was conducted for all the first year UG students from 22.6.2009 to 9.7.2009.
- Student exchange programme and strengthening of placements
- Encourage research activity,publication and consultancy
- To start research programme
- Community development programme.
- Expansion of language Laboratory.
Two Day Workshop on Technology for Teaching English Language and Literature
Click the photo to enlarge